Monday, August 9, 2010

Blessings in Bricktown...

Last Saturday evening in our fishing hole--Bricktown--was an evening of blessings. Brady, Trisha (his wife), and Roger joined me and the crowds seemed smaller than usual. I had bought the new "Einstein" sign from Living Waters, so I decided that this night would be a good time to break it out and make use of it.

Trisha informed me that she had invited her best friend from high school to Bricktown that night. This friend was married to a Pastor, and they were actually bringing their entire youth group to Bricktown to observe us and help us hand out tracts. This group had just attended the local Youth Evangelism Conference in Norman, and--apparently--they were ready to actually do some evangelism. Praise the Lord!

The Pastor and his youth group were unfamiliar with The Way of the Master, which is where Brady and I got our training to do street evangelism. They had never seen the use of the Law in evangelism, nor did they have any first-hand experience with open-air preaching. Those kids were extremely helpful in handing out Gospel tracts, and they also provided us with a good audience as Brady and I took turns preaching the Gospel by the fountain.

I have to admit, I was experiencing some disappointment that night. I had invited several Facebook friends to join us for Bricktown evangelism, and nobody was interested and/or able. Still, I was grateful that we were still able to meet in our usual spot. When that large youth group arrived and was ready to help, I was GREATLY encouraged. To see young people flooding the streets, gospel tracts in hand, was a wonderful sight to behold.

Another encouraging fact was that we were able to preach up by the fountain that night and didn't meet with ANY resistance from the local police/security. Even better, the fountains were TURNED OFF that night, so--with our amp--we could actually be heard all the way around the fountain.

Finally, I was very much encouraged by the presence of Roger Pigg. He attends Graceway Baptist church (my former church). He is a retired school teacher and is wanting to redeem the years of his retirement. He has joined us several times out on the streets. He always keeps a stack of tracts in his shirt pocket, and he's always looking for the next conversation to have with people. What a joy to see an older man of God wanting to use his free time to further God's kingdom and to obey His Great Commission.

Please pray for me specifically as I ponder how exactly I will establish a regular presence on the University of Oklahoma campus this fall. There are prime times to do open-air preaching, and I would need to get off work for those times. I would appreciate prayer for wisdom and discernment as I make preparations.

My family and I have recently started attending GracePointe Baptist Church. We are very excited to have found a church that is 100% Reformed and 100% evangelistic. The Lord is moving in a mighty way in that church. Please add GracePointe to your prayer list! The Pastor's name is Jeff Brown.

Until next time, keep on proclaiming...

- Shane

1 comment:

  1. Last night, you and I engaged in discussion regarding your asserted "truths". You seemingly failed to understand how or why your declarations were flawed, despite instantaneous rebuttals that demonstrated the shortcomings of your attempted reasoning. Additionally, your vile tactics of continued interruptions and repeated assertions illustrated your contempt for honest discussion. How can you know or preach the "truth" when you are not even willing to analyze it honestly with an open mind?

    Last night, you did not afford me a reasonable opportunity to articulate my points of objection and I think I know why. However, if you are interested in educating the skeptical community or anyone else in the Oklahoma City metro, I invite you to join me in a public debate. Additionally, I will grant you the opportunity to enlist the help from anyone you choose, be it preachers, scientists, or philosophers -- whomever you decide. Even the greatest of debaters cannot uphold a flawed position. For what it's worth, I will honestly admit to you that I have heard and debunked, countless times, each and every argument you advanced last night. In fact, I am so rehearsed in dispelling your misinformation, that, on-the-spot, I am capable of refuting your failed arguments from more than one direction of attack. I do not think there exists the argument for a deity that I have not heard or debunked at least once. Last night, you simply never afforded me the opportunity to launch an elaborate response.

    So, I challenge you to highlight your asserted "truths" to the world. Afford me a chance to speak and engage in honest debate. I demand you act in accordance with the doctrine you hold dearly and comply with the words of I Peter 3:15. If you are speaking from a truthful and valid position, your argument will withstand my scrutiny. Do you honestly believe the nonsense you were uttering last night?

    Before I conclude, I would like to ask you this one question: Have you ever done anything good in your life? Can you think of one good deed you have perform throughout your lifetime on this earth? If the answer is "yes", I invite you to analyze how that fits in formula of your defeated argument. If you recognize the failure, I suggest you refrain from advancing the shipwreck ever again, lest you expose your disregard for an honest search for truth.

    ReplyDelete