Friday, March 26, 2010

A Night Out in Bricktown....

While I had planned on at least two more parts to my "Open Air Preaching" series, well, I got a nice sinus infection this week that put my blogging plans on hold. Now that the pressure in my head has been somewhat relieved, I do plan on finishing the "Open Air" series with some observations on Jesus' open-air preaching experience in John 6, as well as Paul's famous open-air preaching experience on Mars Hill.

Tonight, our local evangelism team descended on the Bricktown area in downtown Oklahoma City. It was a good night. About 1,000 tracts were handed out, and the Gospel was preached in the open-air on several occasions. Brady engaged in what has become known as "stoplight preaching," in which he stands on a box at a busy intersection and preaches a short Gospel presentation (2-3 minutes) to the crowds standing at the corner waiting for the traffic light to change.

I had a few lively encounters with some young people as I preached on the box. An in-depth discussion on predestination broke out with a few teenagers right after I finished my preaching! Then we ended up things with a discussion about the Trinity with a young man who seemed confused about the concept of a Triune God. It sounded as though his brief experience in Mormonism warped his view of God. We opened up the Word of God to him. On a related note, it REALLY helps to have the entire Bible on your iPhone!

So, I would like to thank Brady, Trisha, and Tom for their help, support, and encouragement tonight. It was a pleasure--as always--to do ministry with you folks.

Pray for those who received the word, both through tracts and through preaching.

so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
(Isa 55:11 ESV)

Soli Deo Gloria!

In Christ,

- Shane

1 comment:

  1. I have a question our youth group want to do the same downtown. Possibly have some open air music do you know who we need to contact in order to get that to happen?

    ReplyDelete